This incident has been resolved.
Oct 7, 18:39 UTC
A fix has been implemented and we are monitoring the results.
Oct 7, 15:05 UTC
Difference is currently ~1%
Oct 5, 16:56 UTC
We have discovered that device status syncing between our VPN server and our main database can get desynchronized over time. This started happening as a result of performance optimisations we did lately. The effect of this is that a device is shown offline in the dashboard when it's actually connected.
We are continuously monitoring the difference and are rotating instances to keep the difference small while we investigate the underlying issue.
Oct 5, 16:38 UTC